Even though the light is returning, it’s freaking cold and dark. We’re still in a reflective, introspective space. Hibernating and rejuvenating are key for this time. The more deeply you allow yourself to rest and restore, the better equipped your entire system will be in the coming year and seasons. This is the time for replenishing our vital life force. Do not miss it. In ages past, Yule (now Christmas) was a time for gathering and merriment before hunkering down for the long, dark January ahead. As Imbolc (now Groundhog Day) approaches, we can begin to feel the thaw taking place. The days are growing a little longer and hope is returning. Honor the stillness and the depth available here.
- Make lots of clear plans with clearer action steps and at the time same time, don’t feel the need to hurriedly act upon them. Again, the clearer you can allow yourself to become, the greater the reward when the time is right. What do you deeply desire? What needs to be done to allow the space for it to come true? Dream, plan, prepare to act!
- Continue choosing more restorative movement over higher intensity sessions in early winter. Then, as Imbolc approaches, begin to tune in and feel your body’s desires begin to change. Appetites may reduce and the desire to move more will begin returning as we make our way closer to spring.
- Hands-on self-healing is a fast, effective, and pleasurable way to calm the system and deepen into stillness. Hint: the stillness is where the clarity on your next steps lives!
- Prioritizing adequate rest (notice the desire to sleep a bit more during this time and honor it) is essential
- Maintaining regular meal times supports blood sugar balance, energy levels, and digestion, and of course, all of this soothes the nervous system
- Syncing with the sun as much as possible (i.e. really winding down at sunset and engaging in relaxing, nourishing activities from then until bedtime and then being up before sunrise)
As much as being outside may feel daunting and totally undesirable, bundle up and head outdoors midday for a nice walk in nature. Enjoy the brisk air and the sunlight – even if it’s just through clouds.
- It’s been shown to support the body through reducing stress hormones, lowering the risk of osteoporosis, and doing it outdoors has even more amazing benefits!
- Yoga and rebounding are ideal right now to prevent stagnation in the muscles and lymphatic system. Kundalini yoga and breath work is my absolute favorite technology.
- Dancing is fantastic, also! Many experience depressed and funky moods in winter and I know of no better way to quicken the blood, raise energy, and lift my spirits than putting on some music and just dancing it out.
Food: Simply, eat seasonally all the time and you can’t go wrong. . We have all that we need to support our bodies and what they are undergoing as we mirror the Earth at . Period. What’s available to you right now? Much of winter’s menu is similar to falls – root veggies like pumpkin, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, parsnips, turnips, carrots, beets, etc.; deep, mineral-rich, life-giving greens like collards, arugula, and kale; Brussels sprouts, apples, pears, cranberries, grapes, pomegranates, cauliflower, and more! Mmmmm! To check what’s in season locally for you, this is a great . Focus on deeply pigmented produce right now to support the blood and circulation.
such as Echinacea for immune support and ginko biloba for circulation are great winter supports. For deeper rejuvenation and restoration, beautiful adaptogens such as ashwagandha, mucuna, reishi mushrooms, and holy basil are lovely (under the guidance of an expert who’s working directly with you).
Need to kick a bug? Try my favorite recipe:
1-2c Warm water
2-3T Apple cider vinegar
Small knob of fresh turmeric or about ½-1t powder
1-2t Raw organic honey
1 clove of garlic
pinch of cayenne pepper
pinch of black pepper
2-3 drops oil of oregano
Put in a blender and drink!
And of course, there are so many and gem elixirs to support you right now. This is a good time to connect to your internal, liminal realms. Passionflower essence, magnolia flower essence, Datura flower essence, mugwort flower essence, and crocus flower essence are perfect for connecting to our higher selves, our ancestors, and our dreams.
Enjoy this beautiful transition and all it teaches us. Honor your needs during this time and all that you are noticing. Don’t miss a potent opportunity for reflection, dreaming, and planning. I’d love to hear from you!
I’m Devon Battaglia, MS, NC, RYT and I am a Nourishment Guide + Earth Medicine Intuitive + Empowerment Mentor helping people to heal their four bodies and create sustainable lifestyle and health transformation through plant spirit medicine and gem elixirs, holistic nutrition counsel, lifestyle coaching, vibrational healing, virtual workshops and courses, and other mystical goodness. Through my unique approach, my clients fall madly in love with themselves and their bodies, awaken their inner healers, recognize self-care as a sacred duty, and enjoy more ease through identifying the roots of their perceived challenges and transmuting them into gold! I blend the best of both worlds with Western science and ancient metaphysical wisdom for the ultimate experience. Sign up for 5 Days to Ignite Your Metamorphosis to experience shifts right away. If you feel called to work together, please schedule a complimentary, magical Discovery Session.