The light is returning.
At the Winter Solstice, despite the fact that it’s the darkest (and coldest) time it’ll be all year, we’re welcoming the return of the light once more. This is the Wheel of the Year’s “New Moon” and a time for planting seeds in the darkness, the void, the place of no-thing from which all things manifest.
What are you ready to bring into your life? What are you ready to manifest? Think about little baby seeds planted into the soil. Despite nothing happening above ground, there’s a lot happening below the surface. The seeds are being cracked open, are activating their codes of becoming and growth, and are preparing for their journey ahead. This is the energy of winter.
Ways to Support Yourself and
Honor the Medicine of Winter
Even though the light is returning, it’s freaking cold and dark. We’re still in a reflective, introspective space. Hibernating and rejuvenating are key for this time. The more deeply you allow yourself to rest and restore, the better equipped your entire system will be in the coming year and seasons. This is the time for replenishing our vital life force. Do not miss it. In ages past, Yule (now Christmas) was a time for gathering and merriment before hunkering down for the long, dark January ahead. As Imbolc (now Groundhog Day) approaches, we can begin to feel the thaw taking place. The days are growing a little longer and hope is returning. Honor the stillness and the depth available here.
- Make lots of clear plans with clearer action steps and at the time same time, don’t feel the need to hurriedly act upon them. Again, the clearer you can allow yourself to become, the greater the reward when the time is right. What do you deeply desire? What needs to be done to allow the space for it to come true? Dream, plan, prepare to act!
- Prioritizing adequate rest (notice the desire to sleep a bit more during this time and honor it) is essential.
- Continue choosing more restorative movement over higher intensity sessions in early winter. Then, as Imbolc approaches, begin to tune in and feel your body’s desires begin to change. Appetites may reduce and the desire to move more will begin returning as we make our way closer to spring.
- Maintaining regular meal times supports blood sugar balance, energy levels, and digestion, and of course, all of this soothes the nervous system.
- Hands-on self-healing is a fast, effective, and pleasurable way to calm the system and deepen into stillness. Hint: the stillness is where the clarity on your next steps lives! Check out this guided video I made for you!
- Syncing with the sun as much as possible (i.e. really winding down at sunset and engaging in relaxing, nourishing activities from then until bedtime and then being up before sunrise)
- Walking is such an underrated form of movement and is truly the kindest and most effective. It’s been shown to support the body through reducing stress hormones, lowering the risk of osteoporosis, and doing it outdoors has even more amazing benefits!
- Yoga and rebounding are ideal right now to prevent stagnation in the muscles and lymphatic system. Kundalini yoga and breath work is my absolute favorite technology.
- Dancing is fantastic, also! Many experience depressed and funky moods in winter and I know of no better way to quicken the blood, raise energy, and lift my spirits than putting on some music and just dancing it out.
Simply, eat seasonally all the time and you can’t go wrong. To say Nature is smart is such an understatement that it’s almost disrespectful. We have all that we need to support our bodies and what they are undergoing as we mirror the Earth at any given moment. Period.
What’s available to you right now? Much of winter’s menu is similar to falls – root veggies like pumpkin, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, parsnips, turnips, carrots, beets, etc.; deep, mineral-rich, life-giving greens like collards, arugula, and kale; Brussels sprouts, apples, pears, cranberries, grapes, pomegranates, cauliflower, and more! Mmmmm!
To check what’s in season locally for you, this is a great resource. Focus on deeply pigmented produce right now to support the blood and circulation.
Herbs such as Echinacea for immune support and ginko biloba for circulation are great winter supports. For deeper rejuvenation and restoration, beautiful adaptogens such as ashwagandha, mucuna, reishi mushrooms, and holy basil are lovely (under the guidance of an expert who’s working directly with you).
And of course, there are so many plant essences and gem elixirs to support you right now. This is a good time to connect to your internal, liminal realms. Passionflower essence, magnolia flower essence, Datura flower essence, mugwort flower essence, and crocus flower essence are perfect for connecting to our higher selves, our ancestors, and our dreams.
Need to kick a bug?
Try my favorite recipe:
1-2c Warm water
2-3T Apple cider vinegar
Small knob of fresh ginger and turmeric or about ½-1t powdered versions of each
1-2t Raw organic honey
1 clove of garlic
pinch of cayenne pepper
pinch of black pepper
2-3 drops oil of oregano
Put in a blender and drink!
For additional support in coming into your power as a sensitive being, I invite you to explore the InnerRose Library. This collection of self-paced virtual classes is intentionally created for the sensitive, intuitive, empath ready to embody her magic and thrive.
New in the InnerRose Library:
If you’re ready to dive more deeply into the magick that results from aligning with Nature and seasonal and cosmic flow, I invite you to join the next spiral of The Root to Spiral Collective. The Root to Spiral Collective is a sacred community and living laboratory where we journey with the frequencies of the seasons, the moon, and other Earthly and cosmic happenings to reclaim ourselves as shameless, sensual, and sovereign. Click HERE to learn more.
My work is a magical blend of the practical and tangible with the esoteric and energetic. My diverse background is a reflection of my diverse experiences and devotion to the sacred spiral dance of life and the sensitive soul’s vital role in this time on the planet. If you’re ready to be activated, take a look at my various offerings and resources, listen to my podcast, join my Facebook community, and follow me on Instagram.